Monday, July 22, 2013

Ico: show me where we're going

A few years ago, I decided to play the copy of Ico I had bought and never touched.  I didn't get very far, because the game didn't save my progress and I only had limited time.  I resolved to go back one day.

I never went back.  I wanted to, but there were many more shiny games and achievement points and new controllers and clever gameplay ideas and huge maps to explore.  Ico remained a game that I felt was worthy of playing, but never actually got played.  At some point in the last couple of months, the Ico and Shadow of the Colossus HD pack was given out on PS+, and the games sat on my hard drive, untouched.  Until now.

History almost repeated itself.  I played through the first sections of the game, finding Yorda and rescuing her, then escaping from the dungeon, playing again through the sections I previously completed on the PS2.  I found a new section, and thought I'd take a break there - and almost turned the console off, before remembering that I'd not saved anywhere.  I pushed on, and found the first bench, sitting outside the tower.  I almost ignored that and continued, but decided to experiment with it, only to find that this is what the save point looks like.  So I saved.

It's clear to see that many games have taken influences from Ico.  The exploration aspect crops up in countless 3D adventures now, and guiding another character is a massively effective story mechanic.  I will complete this one day, I must, but at the moment I'm a bit too unfocussed given my multiple Wii U purchases.

No comments: