Monday, August 13, 2007

RLLMUK's top 100: 100 - 91

100Panzer Dragoon Saga (Saturn)
99Frequency (PlayStation 2)
97Championship Manager 01/02 (PC)
97Wave Race 64 (Nintendo 64)
96Animal Crossing: Wild World (Nintendo DS)
95Day of the Tentacle (PC)
93Crazy Taxi (Dreamcast)
93Broken Sword: Shadow of The Templars (PC)
92Mario Kart 64 (Nintendo 64)
91F-Zero X (Nintendo 64)

Comments on the games I've played:

Championship Manager 01/02 (PC)

I really can't quite understand why football management games are so addictive to me, and I'm not even all that interested in football! I only played this iteration for a short time, though, it was around then that it started to get all just a little too complicated and over-the-top. I'm actually happier now with Football Manager Handheld, because of the limitations on what you have to concentrate on.

Wave Race 64 (Nintendo 64)

Although I didn't play this until just after the GameCube came out, it was still quite amazing with its physics engine reacting to waves on the water. I think Blue Storm was better though.

Animal Crossing: Wild World (Nintendo DS)

I dread to think how many hours I put into this. The fact that it's portable, and you can simply close the DS and carry it off with you, makes it far more accessible than the N64 or GameCube originals. Interestingly, while watching The Simpsons on TV yesterday I saw that they continue to advertise this, more than a year after it was released. Everyone has their own stories about villagers and events, and the online aspect is just amazing.

Crazy Taxi (Dreamcast)

The arcade game wasn't as good, really – much harder to pull off the special moves that made the game fun. Barrelling down that first hill was always great fun, stopping by sliding at 50mph into a wall ... pure joy.

Broken Sword: Shadow of The Templars (PC)

I almost gave up on this before it had really started, thanks to that really annoying bit where you had to identify that the four red pixels in the sewer were actually an item. Once I'd found that, though, the story really captivated me, and while the game was fairly linear you never really wanted to deviate outside the path anyway.

Oh, and avoid the PlayStation version. Once you've got to the desert market, it slows down to unbearable levels, and you'll never want to play it again.

Mario Kart 64 (Nintendo 64)

My second-favourite Mario Kart, after DS. Again, I got this late, but multiplayer's a genius, particularly with the catchup and item levelling which means that every race is a close one.

F Zero X (Nintendo 64)

I've never really got on with F-Zero, in any of its incarnations.

No comments: