Sunday, August 12, 2007

Resident Evil 4: into the village

Since this seems almost sure to come top of rllmuk's top 100 games, I thought I ought to see what I've missed out on. I've never really got on with Resident Evil games before - I've played the first on the PlayStation and the remake on the GameCube, and Code: Veronica on the Dreamcast, but never played them for more than a few hours. The main reason for this is the control scheme - it's always seemed too clunky and inhibits me from enjoying the games.

RE4 keeps the same sort of control scheme, in terms of moving forwards and backwards and rotating, but it's done from behind the character which means it makes a lot more sense. Having said that, it still feels really clunky, and there's no way of, say, leaning around corners to see what's there, or even sidestepping. I came across a hut earlier at the side of the path, and could see there was an enemy inside. I had to run forward level with the door, then turn round to face the enemy before he could attack me. Clunky. It just keeps you detached from the game, which is a shame.

The Wii version uses the remote to aim and fire, which is probably a lot easier than the GameCube and PlayStation 2 versions, and this part works really well.

I'm about one and a half hours in now, having got through the first half of the village. I've met a non-infected Spaniard, and then we were captured and injected with something which appears to have had no effect. Very odd. I've found out that the president's daughter may well be inside a church, which I've already seen but for some reason I've got to go around the long way to get there. The next part of the village seems to be built over a valley on stilts, which is a bit annoying because the enemies keep falling over the edge when they die, meaning I can't pick up the bonuses they leave behind.

It's a videogame that tries to be nothing else, but that's no bad thing.

No comments: